Las Cruces Community Radio Station – KTAL-FM 101.5 Presents SPEAK EASY Literature Crawl/Story Stroll
March 31, 2016
An Event Celebrating Local Writers and Spoken Word
LAS CRUCES – Nascent community radio station KTAL-FM 101.5 is presenting the first Las Cruces Speak Easy, an afternoon of simultaneous spoken-word events at four different locations between 1:00p- 6:00p on April 9.
The Speak Easy/Literature Crawl format – first created in San Francisco – features the talents of local writers and performers sharing a mixture of poetry and stories, with a side of commentary and humor, in several venues all at the same time. The locations are close enough that folks can stroll between them to sample different offerings.
The festivities will kick off at 1:00p with readings at Casa Camino Real, 314 So. Tornillo Street, hosted by store owner, writer and performer Denise Chavez.
Then at 2:30p, downtown along Main St. at the Center for Spiritual Living, MVS Studios, and the Southwest Environmental Center, the public will be able to enjoy –
- Storytellers of Las Cruces;
- Poets of Las Cruces;
- Young Adult Writers from all four Las Cruces high schools;
- DACC Writing Students;
- Muralist and Artist Saba on Graffiti Artists as Storytellers;
- NMSU student improvisation comedy group Home Improv-ments performing two shows with audience participation;
- The community organizing group CAFé (Communidades en Accion y de Fé) demonstrating how to connect personal stories to larger social themes;
- Shakti Rising, a women’s empowerment and community health group, hosting a gratitude circle based on stories we tell ourselves about our own lives
Suggested donation of $5 per person or $10 per family gains access to all activities.
The afternoon of events is designed to attest to the power of writing and the spoken word, the vitality of storytelling and the rich talent in Las Cruces, and the aim is to share with the community a taste of what KTAL Radio plans to be: dynamic, egalitarian and fun.
For detailed schedule or more information, write KTAL Radio at LasCrucesCommunityRadio@gmail.com or visit Las Cruces Community Radio on Facebook.
We need volunteers to help with this event:
Greeting people, collecting emails and donations, helping with refreshments. Public speaking not necessary!
Contact Nan if you can help for an hour or two – THANKS!!
We hope to see you there!